Friday 6 January 2012

Eve Arnold 1912-2012

A sad day for Photography yesterday as the news was released by Magnum Photos, Eve Arnold was an amazing photographer and an amazing women, we must be so truly thankful for all that she achieved in photography and continually be inspired by her faith and ability as a determined women in a male dominated industry.

"It is with great sadness that Magnum Photos announces the death of American photographer, Eve Arnold, who passed away peacefully on 4th January 2012.

Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1912, Arnold was a prominent member of Magnum Photos and the first woman photographer to join in 1957. She began her photography career whilst working at the Stanbi Photos plant in New Jersey in 1946, and in 1948 studied photography with Alexei Brodovitch at the New School for Social Research in New York. Arnold moved to London, England in 1962 where she continued to live and work.

She will perhaps be best remembered for her exceptional photographs of people; the famous, politicians, musicians, artists and the unknown. Her intimate, sensitive and compassionate ten year collaboration with Marilyn Monroe has cemented her as one of the most iconic portrait photographers of our time, but it is the long term reportage stories that drove Arnold’s curiosity and passion."

“Themes recur again and again in my work. I have been poor and I wanted to document poverty; I had lost a child and I was obsessed with birth; I was interested in politics and I wanted to know how it affected our lives; I am a woman and I wanted to know about women.” (Eve Arnold, The Unretouched Woman, Jonathan Cape, 1976).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive